Near the Southernmost point of Africa lies a valley named Hemel-en-Aarde (Heaven and Earth) framed by mountains and within sight of the ocean, with frost free, soft, beneficial weather and the most perfect clay shale vineyard soils.
Established in 1989, Bouchard Finlayson is a boutique winery (this 125-hectare property currently has 22 hectares under vine) dedicated to making wines of outstanding quality. Located in the wine region of Walker Bay, an hour and a half from Cape Town, behind the enchanting coastal town of Hermanus.
As one of our sister properties, this estate allows us to offer you some of the finest wine the Southern Hemisphere has to offer, their elegance and flavour will certainly surprise and delight.
Eric Zwiebel's Awards and Accolades
- 4th place in the 'Best Sommelier in the World' competition in Tokyo in April 2013
- 'Wine Spectator' has again awarded Summer Lodge with a 'Best of Award of Excellence' for 2012, stating that the hotel has one of the most outstanding restaurant wine lists in the world
- 2nd place in the 'Best Sommelier of Europe' competition, 2008
- Runner-up in the Ruinart 'Best Sommelier of the World' Competition, 2007
- Winner of the French semi-final for the 'Best Sommelier in the World' competition and France's only representative at the finals in 2007
- 3rd place in the 'Best Sommelier of Europe' competition in 2006
- UK 'Sommelier of the Year' 2004. Eric has both vast experience and a stunning list of achievements in the arcane arts of the glass. In 2004 he was named Ruinart’s UK Sommelier of the Year, and as past winners are ineligible for further competition, he now acts as a judge. In 2007 and 2013 he was listed among the world’s four most accomplished practitioners in the Best Sommelier of The World Competition.
"Using an abundance of fresh local produce, dishes should combine our love of producing a perfect harmony of flavours, with the influence of Beatrice Tollman, President and Founder of the Red Carnation Hotel Collection."
Executive Chef, Robert Newall
Look us up and join in at